To discuss surgical weight loss with a patient coordinator, call (865) 694-9676. To learn more about any Tennova Healthcare services, call (855)-TENNOVA (836-6682).
Let us help you make a decision that could change your life. This option is not for everyone. Know all the facts before making your decision.
Morbid obesity is a serious health condition that can interfere with basic physical functions such as breathing or walking. Those who are morbidly obese are at greater risk for illnesses including diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), gallstones, osteoarthritis, heart disease, and cancer.
Morbid obesity is diagnosed by determining Body Mass Index (BMI) or the ratio of an individual’s height to his or her weight. Normal BMI ranges from 20-25. An individual is considered morbidly obese if he or she has a BMI of 40 or more; or 35 or more and experiencing obesity-related health conditions, such as high blood pressure or diabetes.
Weight loss surgery may be right for you if:
• Your BMI of 40 or more (Use our BMI Calculator).
• Your BMI is 35 or higher and also suffer from one or more health problems such as Type 2 Diabetes or Hypertension.
• Your serious attempts to lose weight have had only short-term success.
• You are prepared to make substantial changes in your eating habits and lifestyle.
• You do not drink alcohol in excess.
If your BMI is between 30 and 34, you may still be a candidate for surgery. We offer self-pay procedures for this weight range, including Adjustable Gastric Band and Laparoscopic Greater Curvature Plication (LGCP), an experimental procedure.